Spark Club Novel Planning Day 7:
As a reminder, here is a sample story card:
SCENE #: 1
ALPHA POINT: This is why Clara is so dead-set on winning the piano competition: to prove herself to her mom and to herself, and to finally beat Asher for once (he’s always been better than her)
SUBPLOT: Asher cares for Clara and doesn’t consider her an enemy and is distressed that this event has made her hate him even more.
CAUSE: WHAT HAPPENS
- Clara learns that this year’s competition is different: Pressman is coming out of retirement and has announced that he is taking on ONE student: whoever wins the Carson competition will win his mentorship plus a recording deal and eventual world tour with his agency.
- Clara overhears her mom talking to another professor who asks her who she thinks has the best chance of winning the competition. The other professor.
- Asher is there with Clara and overhears the same conversation.
EFFECT: THE CONSEQUENCE
- Clara makes a decision to double down on her efforts to win, and tells Asher that they’re “enemies” now.
CAUSE: WHY IT MATTERS
- Clara wants her mom’s approval more than anything, and she thinks this is the way to get it. She struggles with self-worth.
EFFECT: THE REALIZATION
- Clara now regards Asher as her enemy, even more than before.
- Asher, who had been trying to win her over, is frustrated again.
- The stage is set for the showdown.